Although advertising is frequently an expensive media to choose, it is generally the most effective and the additional costs are quickly recuperated. According to the Carr Reports, and every other study that I have read in my professional career, ads in trade magazines generate most leads. Nearly one out of every three sales leads is generated by a firm's print advertising campaign.
Other reasons to consider print advertising the cornerstone of your marketing plan are:
- 80% of buyers first learn about a product or supplier through a print ad program
- Buyers prefer to learn about products in the market through a print campaign because they perceive it as informative. (see chart)
- Cost effectiveness: advertising delivers your sales proposition to the greatest number of prospects at the lowest cost per prospect
- Objectivity: buyers find industry publications to be the most credible source of information
- Ad preference: readers actually prefer the trade magazines carry advertising
Furthermore, buying influences and decision makers seldom see salespeople but many read industry publications.
You may also want to contact the American Business Press (Tel 212 661-6360) and order the study "It Pays to Advertise - Proof that Advertising Works" which highlights 30 years of case histories and research studies showing that advertising in specialized business publication works.
Another study is the ARF/ABP Study: A summary of Findings also available from the ABP for a few dollars.