Review the editorial calendar (available from the Publisher) of your chosen publication. Consider editorial themes, special reference issues, show distribution -- but most importantly consider your repeated presence.
Frequency makes an enormous difference. Why?
- Recall fades quickly -- the buyers ability to recall a message fades quickly over a short period. On going advertising builds top-of-mind awareness
- Buyers buy all year long -- buyers need product information and place orders all year long. That's why readership is consistent during all four seasons
- Buyers initiate the order -- most orders are initiated by the buyer. Suppliers who pre-sell through ongoing advertising are typically considered for these orders
- Right place-Right time -- most buyers claim it's nearly impossible for a salesperson to contact them at just the right time. Frequent ongoing advertising keeps your offer top-of-mind among buyers, so when they're ready to make a purchase they consider your company
- Readership turnover -- over 20% of the decision makers change annually due to promotions, transfers, retirement, etc.
- More ads - More leads -- there's a direct link between ad frequency and the number of leads generated.
- Best of all, higher profits -- studies consistently prove that high level advertisers generate more responses, more sales and more profits, even after considering the added costs of more aggressive campaigns. This is due to increased familiarity and believability, the fact that the buyers perception of quality is raised and with each exposure, their willingness to buy is increased.
Even on a very limited budget, repeat your advertisement 3 or 4 times per year. Better to reduce the size of the advertisement and even forego a color, than to lack repetition. Most publishers also give frequency discounts at three insertions so that you pay less per insertion.